was built by Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk in the 1530's in Spilsby Historic Market Town in Lincolnshire. This was after his marriage to Lady Catherine Willoughby, daughter and heiress to the last Lord Willoughby d'Eresby.
Sadly it was destroyed by fire in 1769. A carpenter accidentally started a fire while he was repairing the roof. Very little remains today except an avenue of trees that once led to the mansion and one of the gate posts. No painting or sketch has survived of this lost house.
A 14th century manor house had stood near to the site of this mansion; many fragments of this earlier dwelling have been discovered.
Eresby House was built in the 'H' shape that was popular at the time. A 1771 plan shows an orangery, cherry orchard, bowling green, dove cote and an ash grove which were all close to the house. An old moat that once part of the old manor house had become a fish pond.
All that remained for many years was the avenue of trees which led up to the mansion and a solitary gate post. This photogragh was possibly taken in the 1930's.
> looking the other way