Raithby by Spilsby
Raithby Village Hall and School 150th Anniversary - Open Day July 10th - 11 am to 4 pm.
It's a free open day at the village hall in school lane. Local residents have provided photos and stories which are being displayed inside the Hall, one section will be about people from the village that took part in the 1st or 2nd world war, another section is about the village itself and another section about the school, including a mock classroom to give people an idea of what it would have been like. People are welcome to come any time between 11 am and 4 pm.
Raithby by Spilsby is a small village north west of Spilsby, its population is approximately 170 people.
The village atmosphere of rural tranquillity remains as unspoilt today as it was over 200 years ago when the famous Methodist leader, John Wesley preached in the chapel (still open) which Lord Brackenbury built for Wesley within the stables of Raithby Hall.
Situated on the edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds, (designated an area of outstanding beauty), Raithby with its unique history, unspoilt village pub (The Red Lion) Restaurant and B&B is situated less than two miles from the small market town of Spilsby, birthplace of the famous explorer Sir John Franklin. Surrounded by the vast splendour of the Lincolnshire countryside with its feast of historic architecture, spectacular views and idyllic villages, Raithby is truly the best of all worlds.
The villagers have, over many years, held events to help maintain the village, in particular The Holy Trinity Church, parts of which date back to the 16th century and the Village Hall founded in 1683 as a free school to educate the children of the poor in Raithby and surrounding villages.
Raithby is historically connected with John Wesley, founder of Methodism. The Wesley Chapel, built for him during his ministry, is situated within the stables of Raithby Hall, now converted to mews. The chapel, built above the stable to enable his horse to be stabled underneath, had a twin staircase, men to the right and women to the left and it is understood they sat in the chapel accordingly. In July 1788 John Wesley recorded in his journal “we went to Raithby, an earthly paradise. How gladly would I rest here a few days”.