Places of Interest near Spilsby
Bolingbroke Castle near Spilsby in Lincolnshire
was built in about 1220 by Randulph de Blundevill, Earl of Lincoln. However, by 1815, the last remaining part - the gatehouse - had collapsed. Click here for more information
Somersby near Spilsby - the birthplace of Alfred Lord Tennyson
The old rectory (now a private house) where Alfred Tennyson was born is opposite the 15th. Century Church. It is built of greenstone and patched with brick. In the Spring, snowdrops and violets grow in the churchyard. Warden Hill overlooks the village. From the village, there is a bridle way up to the summit from which there are views towards the North Sea across the marsh.
Hall - on the way to Burgh
le Marsh and Skegness
The Hall was built by Sir Henry Massingberd in 1700. The mansion is set in acres of parkland which is contains a number of trees in various stages of development. The Hall is owned by the National Trust in 1944 and is open to the public on certain days of the week in the Summ
Monksthorpe Baptist Chapel (owned by the National Trust) - one of the first Baptist chapels in the country. The present chapel at Monksthorpe was built in 1701. It stands in two acres of grounds, entirely surrounded by a good variety of trees. It was built like a barn with a thatched roof, so that it would not easily be recognised as a chapel. The thatched roof has long since gone, and the roof is now tiled. Click here for more information
Snipe Dales - Country Park and Nature Reserve. Snipe Dales is on the southern edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds. It covers some 85 ha (210 acres). The are two parts: the Nature Reserve and the Country Park. Each have their own car park. Both owned by the County Council but managed on its behalf by the Lincolnshire Wildlife TrustClick here for more information.
Miles of clean sands, a variety of amusements and leisure activities. It has a Seal Sanctuary, fairground, theatre, cinema, circus and many top quality pubs, cafes and restaurants. Live music and entertainment throughout the Summer months provide a great night out for all the family. more information.
Gibraltar Point Nature Reserve - an area of some 430 hectares comprising sandy and muddy seashorses, sand-dunes, saltmarshes and freshwater habitats extending for a distance of about 3 miles along the Lincolnshire coast, from the southern end of Skegness to the entrance of the Wash.
The Reserve is managed by the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust under a lease from its owners the Lincolnshire County Council and East Lindsey District Council.
Burgh le Marsh was once an ancient Roman settlement. Now Burgh le Marsh is a thriving little market town, five kilometres inland from Skegness in Lincolnshire UK
Le Marsh Windmill
built by Sam Oxley of Alford in about 1813. It has five storeys and has unusual left-handed sails which means the sails rotate clockwise. Open Sundays. Click here for more information